Fajitas are a quick and simple meal with lots of flavor. I choose the skirt steak because it has a deep beefy flavor and a perfect chewy texture. The skirt steak comes from the plate or belly of the cow. I make a two step rub and cook the steaks whole to get a good color and sear. I slice against the grain into strips after they are cooked. I find the easiest way to warm the tortillas is right on a gas burner, no pan, just about a half minute per side. If you don’t have gas use a dry skillet. Guacamole is a perfect accompaniment.
Skirt Steak Fajitas
1 Tablespoon olive oil
3-4 cloves garlic grated
1 Tablespoon each ancho chili powder, cumin and oregano
1 1/2 pounds skirt steak
3 poblanos cut into bite size pieces
1 each red and yellow peppers cut into bite size pieces
2 large onions cut into bite size pieces
1. Combine olive oil and garlic with generous salt and pepper. Rub all over steaks.
2. Combine ancho chili powder, cumin and oregano. Rub all over steaks.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat cook all the peppers and onions till well wilted. Remove to platter.
4. Over medium high heat in same skillet cook steaks about 2-3 minutes per side. Cut against the grain into strips and add to platter.
5. Serve with warmed tortillas.