I rarely bake. Strawberries call for shortcake. I can not find good shortcake anywhere in town. So I baked this. I used an old recipe on a index card in the back of my oldest Joy of Cooking Book ( I have 4-5 editions). It was probably in there when I bought it at an estate sale. I changed shortening to butter. Milk to cream. White sugar to turbinado. They came out pretty darn good! Strawberry season is short and I may fit this in again this year.
1 container of strawberries cut into halves or quarters depending on size
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
Combine the strawberries and sugar and let sit for 1-2 hours. This will draw out the juices.
1 1/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
Whip the cream to soft peaks. Stir in vanilla and sugar
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon turbinado sugar
4 Tablespoons cold butter
3/4 cup heavy cream
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
1. Whisk dry ingredients together.
2. Cut in butter.
3. Stir in cream. The dough will still be a little crumbly.
4. Drop 6 large spoonfuls on to a cookie sheet. Just pile the crumbly bits up if needed.
5. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake 15-17 minutes. Let cool.
6. Top the shortcakes with whipped cream and berries.